I actually worked out this past weekend.
I ZUMBA'D... and almost died 10 minutes into it.
But that's only because of my smoker lungs, and also the fact that I've been extremely inactive for quite some time now. I went into it confident I could handle the moves, but then 40 squats later I started panicking... so. many. effing. squats.
My whole body has been paying for it these past two days and I'm pretty sure I pulled something in my left lower back... BUT! I'm proud of myself for actually going through with it and surviving an entire hour without passing out, crying, or leaving.
I didn't know any of the routines, but I did have a friend with me who I tried to follow the whole time. I probably caught on 62% of the time. The other 38% I was half-shimmying in circles of confusion and trying not to bump into anyone.
Why did I randomly decide to go to a Zumba class?
Good question, because if you know me you know I don't actually work out. I don't even remember the last time I was in a gym, or doing any kind of exercise for that matter. I wanna say... maybe 2 years ago? I was doing Namaste yoga pretty regularly for about a month. But then I stopped, just like I stop eating healthy as soon as I run out of Greek yogurt.
But the real reason I went to the gym is because I realized something...
I realized I had successfully squeezed past my early twenties without my weight fluctuating more than 5 pounds. But today, a whole month away from my 26th birthday, I have indefinitely hit my metabolism wall.
In other words... I'm getting FAT. Like, 20 pounds heavier, can't fit into any of my work pants, permanent food baby, fat.
Honestly, I was fully aware this day would come. I don't exercise, I don't care about nutrition, I eat out wayyy too often, and drink. A lot. Oh and I never cut calories at Starbucks or feel bad for drinking soda or over indulging on chocolate. Ever. And I pretty much live off bread and cheese.
I LIKE FOOD, OKAY?!
Apparently the food does not love me back because the pounds have been adding up since Thanksgiving, probably around the time I gorged myself and my body stopped handing out mulligans.
I'm freaking out, and mourning a little, because it means I have to stop being lazy. It's time for me to act like an adult and take care of myself already. Thus the reason why I forced myself to try Zumba.
I really liked the class, and I'm trying to get motivated about losing weight, but it all just seems so daunting. Mostly because I have to change. I know "little by little" is the name of the game here - trust - I've seen so many Pinterest quotes and photos from fitness bloggers to understand what I have to do... I just need to find it in myself to want to do it and then actually do it.
...but then I find myself wanting bacon. And burritos. And McDonald's fries.
Lord have mercy on me.